[mythtv-users] Converted MCE PC to MythTV - HDTV question

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Nov 5 17:51:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 12:32 -0500, Iohan Reyes wrote:
> I had a fully-functioning MCE 2005 PC with the following relevant specs:
> * Pentium IV 2.26Ghz
> * GeForce 6800GT 256MB
> * ATI HDTV Wonder
>
> When this PC had Windows MCE 2005 on it, it could record and
> playback HDTV just fine with no dropped frames.  I realize
> that there are major underlying differences regarding drivers
> and the operating system itself, but from everything I've been
> "conditioned" to believe is that Linux is more efficient than
> Windows.  It therefore stands to reason (at least in my mind,
> but of course, I've been wrong many times) that with the exact
> same hardware underlying this new MythTV system, it should be
> able to play HDTV without dropped frames.  Unfortunately, it
> seems like I am mistaken and it looks like I need more CPU
> horsepower to make it happen because now that I have finished
> setting up FC5 and MythTV, my HDTV playback is dropping frames
> and looks herky jerky. I admit I haven't researched too heavily
> yet since I just finished getting everything working this
> morning, but I thought I would pose the question here first.
Unfortunately there are a few things problematic with your PC with
respect to MythTV HDTV playback. We have problems with the XvMC
accelerated playback, this was a driver problem until the last month.
Now the XvMC could be made to work better with the X11 Composite
extension, but it requires some new code in MythTV. Your processor
is too slow to support playback without XvMC, a P4 2.8 Mhz is the
minimum, so that is not an option (this gives you the best HDTV
experience under MythTV. And finally the ATI HDTV Wonder is not
known to work with MythTV, although maybe you can disprove that?

> Is there anything I can tweak to make HDTV smooth on my system given the
> hardware I stated above?
Yes, look at the XvMC page in the MythTV wiki, you should be able
to get pretty decent playback under MythTV, but editing, PiP,
pause and time-stretch will still not work properly. (PiP doesn't
work at all).

-- Daniel