[mythtv-users] Best way to get rid of interlace

Chico Makani chicomakani at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 20:47:11 UTC 2006

> > When I upgrade my TV I'd like to capture and
> encode everything in
> > progressive format so that I never have to deal
> with interlacing issues.
> > Ideally, I'd like to perform the deinterlacing
> before the mpeg2 encoding.
>
> You don't want to do that.  It'll make inverse 3:2
> pulldown impossible, so
> anything you archive won't be in as good a format as
> it could be.

I don't see a problem here.  If the content has 3:2
pulldown then inverse telecine should be done along
with deinterlacing.  Encoding/transcoding will be more
effective, and power will be conserved.

I think that transcode and ffmpeg can do 3:2 pulldown
removal and deinterlacing, but I don't see anything in
the mythtranscode documentation.

Will mythtranscode accept a command line arg to
perform 3:2 pulldown removal and deinterlacing?