[mythtv-users] WOL doesn't seem to work, any pointers?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 06:09:19 UTC 2006

I've read a bunch of stuff on using WOL including a mini-How-TO:
http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/mini-howto/wol-mini-howto-3.html

It seems to be a *very* simple process, but I'm not having much luck.
I'm sure that the test system I'm trying to get this working on is WOL
capable (a Commell LV-667T) and I've tried 2 of the 'tools' listed on
that mini How-TO.  The first one I tried was:

wakeonlan

The command is fairly simple:
wakeonlan aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

Where aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff is the MAC address of the ethernet port on the
Commell.  I'm running that command from another system on my LAN.  By
default, wakeonlan uses 255.255.255.255 and just for kicks I've also
tried 192.168.1.255

I've also tried:

ether-wake

The only thing I got from it was that it needed to be run by root, so
I did, but still the system didn't wake up.

I've set the setting in the BIOS to "Wake on LAN/Ring" and I've got
the ethernet cable plugged into the ethernet port (there are 2, it's
plugged into ethernet_1 and I've tried ethernet_2 just to make sure,
no difference).

My basic LAN info is:
inet addr:192.168.1.100  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

That's from ifconfig  The router sits at 192.168.1.1 (smoothwall) and
the 2 machines I'm trying to test this with is connected to the same
switch on my LAN side of the router (not on the orange or red
interfaces, it's all green and further LAN segmented).

I'm not sure what other kind of info you may need, but any pointers at
this point would be helpful.

Thanks!

PS:  I figure this is MythTV related since I'm trying to get this
working so I don't have to have my MythTV backends up 24/7 for no real
good reason.  Also, I'd really really really prefer to not use nvram,
WOL seems much more elegant and... safe.

-Chad