[mythtv-users] WOL doesn't seem to work, any pointers?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 07:06:47 UTC 2006

> Chad,
>
> further to what Kevin wrote (use MAC, not IP), make sure you set your NIC into
> WOL state.  Many NIC drivers do this by default, but you make have to do it
> manually for others.  Use ethtool to check/set NIC parameters.  The URL is:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gkernel/
>
> Here's what ethtool reports on my machine which works with WOL:
>
> [root at localhost /]# ethtool eth0
> Settings for eth0:
>         Supported ports: [ TP ]
>         Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                                 1000baseT/Full
>         Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
>         Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                                 1000baseT/Full
>         Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>         Speed: 100Mb/s
>         Duplex: Full
>         Port: Twisted Pair
>         PHYAD: 0
>         Transceiver: internal
>         Auto-negotiation: on
>         Supports Wake-on: umbg
>         Wake-on: g
>         Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
>         Link detected: yes
> [root at localhost /]#
>
> You need at least g (wake from magic packet) in Wake-on: for WOL to work.  If
> you discover that your driver doesn't set the NIC into any WOL state, do it
> manually like so:
>
> [root at localhost /]# ethtool -s eth0 wol g
>
> Once you get it working, put this in one of the /etc/rc.d/init.d scripts -- it
> depends what distribution you're using.
>
> IvanK.

Worked like a champ!  Very much appreciated.  For completeness:

I used:
ethtool -s eth0 wol g

Then:
halt

And then from another machine on the LAN I ran:
wakeonlan -f wakeonlan.wol

Which is a file that simply contains the MAC address of the machine I
was trying to WOL boot.

I put the ethtool string in my /etc/conf.d/local.start file (running
Gentoo on that particular machine) and ensured local is in the default
runlevel.  Rinsed, repeated.  Worked like a champ again.

Thanks again!

-Chad