[mythtv-users] Bootable CD - Myth

Ed Gatzke ed.gatzke.groups at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 13:34:55 UTC 2006

> Ed Gatzke wrote:
> >
> > We'll see a new knoppmyth probably when 0.21 rolls out...   Stupid
> > improvements...
> >
> Interesting that you'd call the improvements stupid, especially when you
> don't know what those improvements are.  Your words are also
> inconsiderate as I spend a lot of my personal time trying to make
> KnoppMyth as easy as possibly.  I go thru alot of headaches so those
> that choose to use KnoppMyth don't have to.

I totally meant this as a joke.  I am a huge proponent of knoppmyth and I am
very appreciative for what you have done for the mythtv community.

I did not mean to be inconsiderate in the least.  Humor does not always
translate well in email.

Some of my joke was the irony of the upgrade cycle, that there are always
new versions coming out.  This was not meant to be spiteful in the least.

When a new release of MythTV is made public, I try my best to make a new
> release of KnoppMyth as soon as possible.  Sometimes I'm successfull,
> other times I'm not.  That is especially true when I'm also working on
> improving other aspects of KnoppMyth.

Things are always improving, so it is sometimes difficult for users and dev
to keep up.  It would be nice to have a perfect system out of the box from
CD (andknoppmyth is almost there) but things are not there yet, so we need
improvements.  Like support for the new PVR 500 I have been fighting with
recently, but that falls on the ivtv guys...

When a new release of MythTV is available, there is nothing stopping
> anyone that uses KnoppMyth from running that new release of MythTV.
> That is on of the reasons included all of MythTV's dependencies.  If
> someone wanted to play with SVN or get the latest release because I'm
> otherwise engaged to upgrade KnoppMyth, it isn't that difficult.  Simply
> backup your database and follow the MythTV instructions.  While
> KnoppMyth is no longer a Knoppix remaster, if one wanted to remaster
> KnoppMyth to include the latest MythTV, all one has to do is again read.

I have upgraded my R5D1 to 0.20 following your instructions, but myth still
has some issues (not knoppmy).  Install and config was easy, thanks!

If you do use KnoppMyth, thanks for letting me know exactly what you
> think of my hard work (and consider finding another distro to use).  If
> you don't, I'd appreciate it if you kept your comments to yourself.

Again, I did not mean to offend you Cecil.  I truly appreciate your work.  I
wish we could help you out to offload some of the work for knoppmyth.  I
have asked around on mysettopbox looking for dev news, but it appears you
are an army of one.  If you can find tasks you can offload to the community,
let us know, I am sure you have a lot of fans out there.