[mythtv-users] Onboard sound is getting confused with capture card (pchdtv)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 6 16:51:36 UTC 2006

On 11/05/2006 10:24 AM, Bob Rakosky wrote:
> On 11/4/06, mythtv at lrlart.com <mythtv at lrlart.com> wrote:
>> I'm battling by fc5 installation trying to get the onboard sound card to
>> load in the same order on each reboot.
>> I've tried other variations on the modprobe.conf, but with no luck. How
>> do I can I force the nvidia onboard sound to load as card 0?

It's not the modprobe.conf that needs changing.

> What worked for me was the following  line in the modprobe.conf (or
> equivalent) file:
>
> options cx88_alsa index=2
>
> This forced the audio device for the hd5500 to use "/dev/dsp2", which
> left
> /dev/dsp available when my "real" sound card initialized, regardless of
> discovery order.

A better approach is to configure udev to create "human-readable"
non-device-name-style symlinks--i.e. "/dev/audio-5500" and
"/dev/audio-soundcard" or whatever you want to call them.  Search the
lists for "reactivated.net" to see several posts referring you to the
udev HOWTO and examples of what others have done.

Mike