[mythtv-users] Simple cross-platform telnet interface GUI for mythtv remote?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Mon Nov 6 16:58:44 UTC 2006

Ross Campbell wrote:
> I frequently spend time watching TV with my laptop on my lap and the
> mythtv remote somewhere in the room. I'm usually running a vnc session
> to my mythtv box as well...
>
> It would be really great to have a simple GUI app that looks roughly
> like a remote control and sends telnet commands to $MYTHTVHOST.
>
> It would be even better to have it use a cross-platform toolkit so
> that I could run it under Linux and Windows (and MacOS).
>
> I did find this for MacOS:
> http://web.mac.com/grhowes/iWeb/Generally%20Helpful%20Software/Remote%20Remote%20GH.html
> ... and there is/was MythWebRemote that could be modified to use
> telnet instead of kbde, but...
>
> I'd really like to have the following:
>
> - GUI that looks like a DVR remote control that can be controlled by
> mouse clicks
> - when the "remote" window has focus, I'd like to redirect most
> keypresses directly to mythtv so that I can use the entire keyboard as
> if it were my mythtv keyboard
>
> This would be great for commercial cutting and a lot of other things.
>
> -Ross

You do know there is a telnet interface to the frontend already, right?
You could code up a web page with buttons that shell out to expect
scripts (or use a telnet API to do it directly) and send the appropriate
commands. I believe someone has already done this, have you searched the
mail list archives?

Tom