[mythtv-users] Fixed: HD playback stutter after resume

Leighton Brough brough at baremetalsoft.com
Mon Nov 6 18:11:20 UTC 2006

Some time ago I posted about a problem I had with HD playback stutter
which only happened after resuming from suspend-to-ram. As I didn't get
any replies, and I've now found an acceptable solution, I thought I
should post the details for the benefit of others who may have HD
playback problems.

Turning off AGP support for my NVidia 6200 seems to have totally fixed
all playback issues for me (with a P4 3.0GHz processor). I did this by
setting:

Option "NvAGP" "0"

in my xorg.conf.

I am using real-time threads, kernel deinterlacing and extra audio
buffering in the frontend playback settings. I had also found, as have
others who've posted to the list that turning off sync to vblank in
nvidia-settings helps HD playback, but this had the side effect of
causing tearing in the playback (which I found unacceptable once my eye
was tuned to notice it). With AGP support off, I can turn the sync to
vblank back on, which eliminates the tearing.

It seems in my case that the AGP state isn't restored correctly after
resuming from suspend-to-ram. However I suspect that turning off AGP
could help others with HD playback issues too. Precisely what this
setting means in practice is a mystery to me: what bus is used by an AGP
card when AGP support is disabled?
It seems there's no performance problem with this setting off, for me at
least, but I really don't know much about AGP. Perhaps someone can
enlighten me?

Leighton