[mythtv-users] Xine vs. Internal with DVD .iso images

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 6 18:32:52 UTC 2006

On 11/06/2006 01:11 PM, John Drescher wrote:

>> Doesn't suprise me that Gentoo has "stolen" xine's 0.99.5 version
>> number.  It would have been nice for them to modify the app to include
>> "pre" or something in the "--version" output so users know what they're
>> getting and so that the poor xine-ui developers don't have to deal with
>> the issues that will be caused when 0.99.5 is released and they get bug
>> reports on it from users who don't use that version.
> Actually it is xine-ui-0.99.5_pre20060716
>

> http://gentoo-portage.com/media-video/xine-ui

I saw that, but since a user said, "v0.99.5", I'm assuming that "xine
--version" is outputting a lie--i.e. the "xine-ui-0.99.5_pre20060716"
Gentoo is compiling is not outputting a proper indicator that it's /not/
the released version of xine-ui 0.99.5.

If the program is outputting "0.99.5" for a version string, it would be
like Myth's outputting "0.21" in the SVN trunk version.  It doesn't.

Granted, it may be that the OP felt it was OK to shorten a
properly-reported version string--I can't tell because I don't use
Gentoo.  If so, note to OP:  shortening version strings is /not/
recommended.

Mike