[mythtv-users] Information/Recommendations on a new MythTV

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 20:18:59 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Timothy Chartier <thymus at earthling.net> wrote:

> > You want to use /dev/video0.  You will select composite, RCA, or S-Video
> in
> > mythtvsetup.
>
> Ok I did that and I am stil not getting video. THe way I am triyngto get
> video is to start the backend, start hte frontend, and then goto watch
> video. I thkink my setup is messed up somehow.

First I'd suggest trying to get video outside of Mythtv by running the
command:
cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg
then use mplayer to play it.
If you don't get any video, follow the instructions on Jarod's guide under
the capture card section here:
http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#capture

Most of the config seems prety self explanatory however I do have some
> questions.
> 1) What does /dev/vbi0 do?
> 2) Whats /dev/dspW? I saw an error one upon a time aobut this not being
> avaiable. How do I correctly make it?

vbi gets information from the video, like short term scheduling information
and closed captioning, and dsp has something to do with sound.  I have mine
set to /dev/vbi0 and /dev/dsp0.

3) Why do I have channels if my input od composite form the satalite
> reciver?

MythTV still needs scheduling information for each channel no matter which
input you're using.  If you're using a satellite receiver you'll want to get
either an ir blaster or (if your receiver has one) a firewire or serial
cable so MythTV can change channels for you.

4) Zaptoit (or some similiar domain name) keeps rejecting me when I try to
> fill the data base. Isn't iut supposed to be free? and I am thinking that is
> why there as a username and password in the set up at one point (Other then
> the MySQL database).

In order to grab listings and watch TV in Myth you'll need to setup a
DataDirect account from Zap2it, see here:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DataDirect

5) when watching video how does on change channels?

see above