[mythtv-users] MediaMVP as front end

Jay jay at donoghue.org
Mon Nov 6 20:55:51 UTC 2006

On 11/6/06, Trampas <tstern at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the information.
>
> Using the windows software that came with the box it takes 10-30 seconds
> for
> things to happen. I also tried GBPVR and it was unusable as that the lag
> was
> so bad that clicking menus was near impossible.

I uses two MVPs as remote front ends, and dont notice any kind of lag.  If I
remember, GBPVR uses emulation, so this could explain the slowness.  I use
MVPMC, which is a full replacement dongle, and it has native MythTV code to
watch recorded and live TV programs.

As far as MPEG 4, the latest windows software does the transcoding on the
> windows box. This currently is the main use of the MediaMVP for me as that
> don't have cable and thus have a friend record Battlestar galatica for me.
> Thus I put on PC and stream. The transcoding on the windows box is bad as
> that the audio gets out of sync. Note I run on a 3800+ X2 box with 2G ram,
> thus CPU should not be an issue.

I also use the MVP boxes to watch AVI files.  Transcoding is done on the
backend and HTTP streamed using VLC.  My backend machine is considerably
less than your (Athlon 1300+, 384MB RAM) and I have no delay, stuttering
etc.

I am trying to get FC6 and Myth installed on another box as a backend and
> use the MediaMVP as front end. If I can get it all working I was going to
> give my friend a backend box to make it easier to record the shows like
> battlestar...

MVPMC also supports scheduling of programs and many new features.  The
latest version is 0.3.1, and is available at http://www.mvpmc.org.  I'd
suggest checking out the wiki and mailing lists as there is a lot of useful
information

 - J