[mythtv-users] Multiple boxes on different networks

Jawaad Ahmad jawaad.ahmad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 01:53:59 UTC 2006

Thanks for the tips!

Kevin,

> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.3

I looked at the MythTV documentation you referenced. Thanks - I forgot about
that snippet.

Looking at my installation, I can't find the mysql.txt file, or anyplace
where DBHostName is set. I did try turning off mysqld temporarily
(/etc/init.d/mysql stop); unfortunately, mythfrontend and mythtv-setup did
not like that too much when I restarted them. I will have to look into this
further.

Chris,

> I have a mythbackend server that is also a router (three network
interfaces).
> One (eth1) connects to the internet with dhcp assigned by ISP, one (eth0)
> connects to 192.168.1.0/24 network and the other (eth2) connects to
> 192.168.0.0/24 network.

You described your setup as having a mythbackend server that also happens to
be your router. Does it communicate with other MythTV equipment on the
192.168.0.0/24 interface, the 192.168.1.0/24 interface, or both? Is this the
master backend? the only backend?

Lucas,

I should have clarified that both hosts can see each other without any
difficulty. I'm able to ssh/telnet/etc. from one to the other. Well, at
least one way. Going the other way, I'm able to as long as I have the router
forwarding the appropriate port.

In case you're wondering why I have the NAT, I plan to use the 192.168.1.2
host to capture packets using NCID
(http://www.davidlaporte.org/tutorials/ncidsip.php). As long as it's sitting
out there, I thought I might as well use it to as a backend and frontend _if
posssible_.

> It would be much easier if you set the different subnets (192.168.1.0/24
and
> 192.168.0.0/24), and just route all traffic between them.

I think I have the different subnets set up. How do I route all traffic
between them. (You mean without forwarding ports, correct?) Does this
involve modifying the routing table on the host(s)? the router?

> Also, make sure your subnet masks are correct. the 192.168.0.0 is usually
> /16, and if you don't set it to /24, your packets won't get routed
properly.

If I can ping/ssh, then packets are being routed properly, correct?

> Make sure that each host knows where the router for the other network is
> (192.168.0.1/192.168.1.3)

This is the gateway, correct?

> If you are using NAT, then it will go out over the wire to 192.168.0.1,
and
> then be mangled back to 192.168.0.2.  Yes, it'll work, but horribly
> inefficient.
>
> If you switch off NAT, then you don't need to "lie" about the addresses.

So what you're suggesting here will allow me to have the separate networks
without NAT?

Thanks for the help!