[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Ed O'Brien ed3120 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 17:01:01 UTC 2006

>Out of curiousity what TV do you have?  I have never heard of a true
>1080p screen that only accepts 720p and 1080i for inputs.  I'd be
>interested to know as that just seems so strange to be the case.

Most first generation 1080p displays could not accept a 1080p signal.  Look at the first model set of the Sony SXRD displays.  1080i input max is upscale to 1080p. It was not until recently that 1080p input capable TVs are available.  1080i looks really nice on these TVs when scaled to 1080p and the detail is definitely crisper than 720p...that's why the channels that concentrate on having the best picture quality, i.e. INHD, DiscoveryHD, etc all transmit in 1080i.  The majority of TVs that have 1920x1080 resolution are going to be scaling it to 1080p anyway.