[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy - amd64 - IVTV Firmware Unresponsive

Michael Wisniewski wiz561 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 22:23:07 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, Mario Limonciello <mario.mailing at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Depending on where you installed the source to,
> you probably have binaries sitting in /usr/local/bin for all ivtv binary
> apps.  You probably have modules sitting in /lib/modules/2.6.17*.
>
> Just as a personal pet peeve -
>
> If you ever do an installation from source that would normally use make
> install, use checkinstall instead.  Checkinstall notates everywhere that a
> make file spits binaries across your system, and records this in the local
> apt installed database list.  Basically, instead of
>
> sudo make install
>
> do a
>
> sudo checkinstall
>
> If you look in synaptic package manager, you will see the package you just
> installed listed there and very easily uninstallable.  Also, if you ever do
> a checkinstall for an app that is already on the system, be sure to remove
> the packages for that app already there.  A good example is gaim.  When gaim
> 2.0 beta 4 got released, people posted checkinstall'd debs.  If you didn't
> remove gaim, gaim-data and any plugins - things got very messy for lots of
> people.
>
> Hope that helps, and you help to alleviate this pet peeve :)
>
> Mario

Mario,

    Thank you for the information on uninstalling the ivtv drivers.  I
stumbled upon checkinstall awhile ago and absolutely love it.  I tried it
with the ivtv drivers, but ran into problems and it wouldn't installed.  It
said something about how the ivtv driver already exists in
/usr/src/linux/<something> and because of that, it's not allowing me to
install it.  So, I just ran make install.  ;-)

    Either way, since you put the other ivtv version up in the repo, I will
give that a shot and not worry about the strange errors with checkinstall.
Again, thank you very much!

Mike