[mythtv-users] Audio

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 01:38:11 UTC 2006

On 07/11/06, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
> I have what I think might be a silly question, but what are people using
> for digital audio from their Myth systems?
>
> My DVD player has optical audio out which my receiver determines is 5.1
> dolby surround.  I'm trying to figure out how I can get audio out from
> my Myth system to my receiver and get more than just left/right audio.
>
> My on-board sound claims to have 5.1 surround sound support, but, well,
> I have no idea how to tap in to that.  I've considered getting another
> sound card with optical out but I am not sure if I need it...

Some boards support 5.1 surround sound using 3 stereo outputs, with 2
channels per output. Others with have either optical or coaxial (or
both) S/PDIF outputs/headers on the board which you can connect
directly to your receiver using the appropriate cable.

As George suggests, check your motherboard's manual to see whether you
have S/PDIF support and if a suitable bracket is available (you may
already have it) before you get a new card.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/