[mythtv-users] Trying to get my card reader to work

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Thu Nov 9 05:53:39 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com> wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:

> >> I believe these devices are treated as multi-LUN SCSI devices. If you
> >> kernel is not set up with multi-LUN SCSI support, then you may only
> >> see
> >> one of the devices.
> >>

> > Mine behaves as multiple scsi devices, not multiple LUNs of a single
> > SCSI device. In other words the four slots are sen as different
> > devices, so:
> >
> > /dev/sda is my SATA drive
> >
> > /dev/sdb through /dev/sde are the four slots of the USB-connected
> > card reader.
> >
> > So if I plug in a USB flash drive it becomes /dev/sdf.
> >
> > I do not have multiple LUNs enabled in my kernel. I do, of course,
> > have USB mass storage enabled.
> >
> > This is on a non-Myth Gentoo machine, I don't have a card reader on
> > the Myth box, but I wouldn't think it would make any difference. An
> > older Dell machine that I have running SuSE behaves the same way with
> > a different USB card reader.
> >
> > But of course, as always, YMMV.
>
> Each logical device shows up as a different SCSI device. Here is more
> info
> <https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/multicard.reader.sl4x>.

Well, that helped.  Now I'm getting more devices recognized.  But now,
I don't know what to do with any of them.  I am using an SD card, so
I'm trying to "mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/manualusbdrive" but I get
"mount:No medium found"

what's a NOOB to do now?

##Here's what I got after following the instructions on the site you linked to.
root at mythtv:/usr/bin# dmesg|grep scsi -A 9
usb-storage: device found at 6
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: wakeup
usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 10
input: BTC USB Multimedia Cordless Kit   as /class/input/input7
input: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [BTC USB Multimedia Cordless Kit  ] on
usb-0000:00:02.0-1
input: BTC USB Multimedia Cordless Kit   as /class/input/input8
input,hiddev96: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [BTC USB Multimedia Cordless Kit
] on usb-0000:00:02
.0-1
  Vendor: OTi       Model: CF CARD Reader    Rev: 2.00
--
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: OTi       Model: CF CARD Reader    Rev: 2.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
usb-storage: device found at 12
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb 3-2: USB disconnect, address 12
usb 3-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 13
usb-storage: device found at 13
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: OTi       Model: CF CARD Reader    Rev: 2.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
  Vendor: OTi       Model: SM CARD Reader    Rev: 2.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sd 3:0:0:1: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
sd 3:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
  Vendor: OTi       Model: SD CARD Reader    Rev: 2.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sd 3:0:0:2: Attached scsi removable disk sdc
sd 3:0:0:2: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
  Vendor: OTi       Model: MS CARD Reader    Rev: 2.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sd 3:0:0:3: Attached scsi removable disk sdd
sd 3:0:0:3: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
cdrom: open failed.

       RichardBronosky