[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 14:35:37 UTC 2006

> Chris' last comment brings up a question that I have he said "I don't
> know of anyone who
> uses their 1080p set to watch 720p content w/ black bars on 4 sides"
>
> Can someone explain to me when black bars would be visible when
> displaying which content? My neighbor has an 42" LCD and I was under
> the impression that if a program was displayed in HD that it would
> fill the entire screen but I find that's not the case. So, I was
> hoping to be able to identify what content is being displayed at what
> resolution given where the black bars are when viewing.

All he was saying is that there are enough pixels to display 1080p 1080i and
720p at their native resolution,  720p could be displayed with black bars
all around it natively with no upscaling.  I doubt that there's any TVs out
there that give you that option though.

There are other times when black bars will be displayed on an HDTV:
1. When watching SDTV (regular 4:3 TV) without any stretching, black bars
will be displayed on the sides.
2. When watching some movies black bars will be displayed on the top and
bottom.  Movies are usually filmed in one of two different aspect ratios
known as flat and scope.
Flat's aspect ratio is 1.85:1 which is very close to 16:9 (about 1.78:1) and
will not have any black bars.
Scope's aspect ration is 2.35:1 or 2.39:1 depending on when it was filmed
and, as you can tell, is much greater than 1.78:1 and will have black bars
at the top and bottom.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.