[mythtv-users] Separate video modes for GUI and TV playback & xorg

Jim herold jim.herold at comcast.net
Fri Nov 10 02:07:57 UTC 2006

Hey everybody,

I'm running the official release of Myth .20 on OpenSuSE 10.1 which runs
xorg 6.9.  I compiled mythtv from source myself.  It's on an Athlon x2
64 3800+ with an ASUS A8N-VM CSM motherboard.  I'm using PAWM for my
Window Manager because it supports xrandr, but still has a pretty small
memory footprint.  I've got XVMC working.  It's all connected to a Sharp
Aquos via DVI to HDMI.  I'm currently running it at 1280x720p.

I'd like to be able to send the 1080i stuff to the television as 1080i.
I have a working 1080i modeline and can switch modes with no problem.
So I configured it to run the GUI 1280x720, but switch to 1920x1080i
when the video is in that resolution.  The issue is that xorg sets the
virtual desktop to 1920x1080 even when the resolution is 1280x720.  So,
that makes the 720p video scale to 1920x1080 and run on to the off
screen parts of the virtual desktop.  Oddly when I run the 1080i video
the resolution changes but I only see 1280x720 of the video in the upper
left corner of the screen with large black borders on the right and bottom.

So, I've heard people say in here that they switch modes for different
video.  What's the key to matching the virtual desktop to the resolution
when switching resolutions on the fly.  Is there a way to disable the
Virtual Desktop feature (I've tried the "DontZoom" setting, but that
only affects the availability of the hot keys for switching modes)?  Is
there something else I'm missing?

I hope that all makes sense.

Thanks everybody!