[mythtv-users] Internal DVD Player Problems (playing too fast?)

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 04:57:33 UTC 2006

Well, I've been spending days, now, trying to sort out issues with getting
DVD playback to work under Linux and Myth, and I'm at a loss.  The only
player I've been able to get working with some level of reliability is
mplayer (unsurprisingly).  Unfortunately, mplayer's lack of menu support
makes it less than ideal for a box I was hoping would replace my external
DVD player.

As for Xine, it hard locks my EPIA EN12000EG after a few minutes of playback
without fail.  Why this is, I have no idea, and it does so using xshm, xv,
and xvmc, so it's not display-related, AFAICT.  A variety of errors pop out
in dmesg related to bad reads on the drive, but since mplayer works fine,
I'm guessing this must be a problem with Xine.

And so we come to MythDVD's internal player.  Really, this would be the
ideal solution, but I'm having a weird problem:  it appears the DVDs are
playing back too fast.  I think.  The playback is very jerky, and the audio
is definitely playing too quickly.  So, has anyone else observed this
particular behaviour?  I tried to Just F'ing Google It, but alas, I've come
up empty (why have you forsaken me, oh great one!)...

Brett.