[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Ed Gatzke ed.gatzke.groups at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 14:45:04 UTC 2006

> > 720p would look better on a 1080p display than 1080i display, but
> > 720p would also look better on a 720p display than a 1080p display
> > since no scaling is required at all.
>
> I've read in a german computer magazine that this is not true. They
> said, 720p content on a 720p display is first being upscaled a little
> bit by the display to get overscan and then a little bit is being cut
> around, so it's 720p again. The same applies for 1080i content on a
> 1080i display.

Maybe I don't have a good eye, but still think upscaling is the way to go.
I would love to have a 2160p display so I could "double" 1080p and "triple"
720p, with proper interpolation as needed.  Plus I would have something like
4300x2160 as my desktop for not video stuff.

And it should run at 120 Hz so "pulldown" can be fluid for whatever you want
(for 24, 30, 60 fps sources)

Again, I plan to try myth on my 30 inch Dell at 2650x1600.  Anyone try this
yet?  Maybe I will just run transcoder on a 1080p broadcast to make some
1600p video... HA.