[mythtv-users] recordings cut off early especially when watching recoding in progress

Jon Vanderwoude jvanderw at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 15:05:12 UTC 2006

I installed Sensord, set it up to log the voltages ever 5 minutes or
so, checked the logs right around the time it crashed, the 3.3v rail
was always out of spec (3.10 ish... )

looked up the buffer chip that is on the PVR250, checked out the white
paper it runs off 3.3V's

I hooked up the volt meter in side the case just to make sure that the
sensor on the motherboard was accurate (because I'm cheap and don't
want to buy a new psu with out good reason) and sure enough it was
dropping below 3.1 (memory chip specs say it should work down to 3.0,
but the reality seems to be different... or there is something in
series with the chip in the board that pulls off some extra
voltage...)

replaced it no problem with it for a week now, when before I couldn't
make it two hours with out it stopping, and less if I was watching tv
while recording.  I let it run watching tv on a remote front end over
night with no issues (while encoding previous recordings just to
stress test)