[mythtv-users] Audio

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 16:29:13 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/11/06, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
> > I have what I think might be a silly question, but what are people using
> > for digital audio from their Myth systems?
> >
> > My DVD player has optical audio out which my receiver determines is 5.1
> > dolby surround.  I'm trying to figure out how I can get audio out from
> > my Myth system to my receiver and get more than just left/right audio.
> >
> > My on-board sound claims to have 5.1 surround sound support, but, well,
> > I have no idea how to tap in to that.  I've considered getting another
> > sound card with optical out but I am not sure if I need it...
>
> Some boards support 5.1 surround sound using 3 stereo outputs, with 2
> channels per output. Others with have either optical or coaxial (or
> both) S/PDIF outputs/headers on the board which you can connect
> directly to your receiver using the appropriate cable.
>
> As George suggests, check your motherboard's manual to see whether you
> have S/PDIF support and if a suitable bracket is available (you may
> already have it) before you get a new card.
>
> Nick

Some boards have a SPDIF "jumper" which is really the coaxial SPDIF
output and only requires a few dollars worth of parts from Radio Shack
(though nowadays thats probably like $10 worth of parts...) to connect
that to an RCA jack for output.  check with your motherboard
manufacturer as they may have a nice slot bracket available, but if
its too pricey or not available, this is the other option.

then you get to have fun trying to enable it ;-)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!