[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 10 19:33:19 UTC 2006

>>>>> Dan Wilga writes:

d> At 11:22 AM -0500 11/10/06, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> Well, for fixed pixel displays, you can't do interlaced display, so
>> you won't find a 1080i LCD or Plasma display.

d> "Can't" is too strong of a word, here, IMHO. A display could buffer
d> the odd rows while it updates the evens and vice-versa. Do any do
d> this? I don't know. But it's certainly possible. This is digital
d> information we're talking about here, after all, not analog.

        Hitachi has a line of plasmas that are native interlaced
displays:

http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/DMG/tech_plasmon.jsp

> ALIS Technology

> ALIS (Alternating Lighting of Surfaces) technology is what separates
> our CMP4120HD plasma display from the rest. A PDP operating on an
> ALIS basis supports high-definition images (with a resolution of
> 1024 (H) x 1024 (V) fixed pixels and aspect ratio of 16:9). By
> lighting even and odd lines alternately every 1/60th of a second,
> this system makes it possible to double the resolution of a standard
> VGA electrode without any loss of brightness.

> This interlaced system provides optimal display performance for a
> variety of applications, providing not only high-resolution
> interlaced display but also progressive display at conventional
> resolution levels. By increasing phosphor surface areas, an image
> with higher definition and brightness in the vertical direction is
> produced. And, because lighting duty is only half that of
> conventional systems, a longer service life is assured.

Their more recent 42HDS69 model claims to be a native 1080i display,
although it uses a 1024x1080 panel.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.