[mythtv-users] Transcoding for Palm handheld?

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Fri Nov 10 23:41:44 UTC 2006

David Cain wrote:
> I'd like particularly to thank John Whitear who helped with a command-
> line I was able to bend to my will.

My pleasure.

> I'm going to have to fool with the video bitrate a little more - I'd
> like smaller files and can take a reduction in picture qualtiy, but
> otherwise it's just fine. I'm getting an hour of (noisy-video,
> analog, 4:3, NTSC) program into 127MB.

You might try reducing the frame rate. For PAL TV at 50 frames per
second, passing mencoder "-ofps 12.5" will half your output framerate.
I've tried this, but can live will roughly 100MB/hour, so don't use it
now. You'll find other hints on transcoding for the Palm here:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=74608

although it's rather Windows focussed.

Cheers,

Jon