[mythtv-users] MythDVD segfaults

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Sat Nov 11 13:12:08 UTC 2006

Hello all,

Am using MythTV 0.20 the stable release (not SVN).

I was having problems for a while trying to get DVD playback to work -
finally solved one problem, but a new problem has cropped up.  The
original problem was the user "piers" which mythfrontend runs under
didn't have any permission to access the DVD drive.  I've now finally
fixed the permission problems, mplayer can now play the DVD as shown:

Reading disc structure, please wait...
There are 6 titles on this DVD.
There are 6 chapters in this DVD title.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
DVD successfully opened.
MPEG-PS file format detected.

The full output from mplayer is attached to this email.

Now, I wanted to try playing back the DVD via mythtv, so I told
mythfrontend to play back the DVD, I can see a screen, with a copyright
notice on the bottom from Twentieth Century Fox (but some text was
truncated) and grey bars which seems to be a corrupted picture, for
about 3 seconds then MythTV shows "Failed to init video" with a button
saying "OK" and then after selecting "OK", MythTV segfaults.

I ran mythfrontend with the command "mythfrontend -v all > log" but it
doesn't capture everything that was output.  I've copied and pasted the
missed captures into a file called "more".  I don't know which part in
"more" goes in "log" so I've left them both seperate.  There's a section
in "more" that I've spotted:

mount: /dev/hdb already mounted or /misc/cd busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdb is already mounted on /misc/cd
QDate::fromString: Parameter out of range
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/hdb mounted on /misc/cd for
CSS authentication
Input #0, mpeg, from '//misc/cd':
   Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
   Stream #0.0[0x1e0], 1/90000: Video: mpeg2video, 720x576, 1/25, 9800
kb/s, 25.00 fps(c)

And at the end of "more" there's:

[mpeg2video @ 0xb7122a20]concealing 1125 DC, 1125 AC, 1125 MV errors
[mpeg2video @ 0xb7122a20]concealing 1125 DC, 1125 AC, 1125 MV errors
[mpeg2video @ 0xb7122a20]inter matrix damaged
Segmentation fault

I decided to check out Xine, it refused to play back the DVD and on
closer inspection, it seems that it has a similar problem:

piers at hinata:~$ xine
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.3.
(c) 2000-2004 The xine Team.
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
piers at hinata:~$

Strange that mplayer can play back the DVD but MythTV and Xine is unable
to do so?

What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this problem please?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Regards - Piers