[mythtv-users] Lirc and laptop IR ports

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 19:57:56 UTC 2006

On 11/11/06, Michael Lynch <lynchmv at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Even for capturing an IrDA port is unlikely to be able to properly
> receive
> > CIR (consumer IR) signals reliably.  Even if you could get it to work,
> it
> > would likely only operate at very specific distances, with rather
> limited
> > range (see the aforementioned page for details).
> >
> > Brett.
> >

> With that being said, I have used irrecord with the irda port on my
> T43 in the aforementioned setup to capture 4 different remotes in my
> house.  Comparing the captured files to the ones available via the web
> it is properly capturing the signals.  The remotes I'm capturing are
> various ones that have come with my devices over the years and also my
> grey hauppauge remote that came with the pvr-350.

I've gotton lirc to work on a Dell latitude d600. just set the irda / com
port in the bios, and compile the lirc_module for serial ports (lirc_sir),
and point it to the com port.

I needed to run setserial dev/ttyS1 uart none (i'm using com2, com1 is
ttyS0). works fine with a Sky remote control (i'm in the UK), but the
receiver is in such a poor position on the laptop that it's only useful for
curiosity value.

hop this helps.

gary