[mythtv-users] Lirc not recognizing remote

JD Huntington jdhuntingtonlist at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 22:35:28 UTC 2006

Hi, I've got what is hopefully a quick question:

I just downloaded and installed lirc from CVS. I am trying to set it
up to use the remote device that my LeadTek Winfast 2000 card
registers, which happens to be /dev/input/event0 . As a user on the
system, I can run cat /dev/input/event0, and things appear on the
screen when I hit buttons.

On running lirc, it does not appear to correctly accept any events.
Looking at the log files, I can't see any evidence that it actually
worked. Also, when I attempt to 'cat' the /dev/lircd, I get this
response:

root at homer:~# cat /dev/lircd
cat: /dev/lircd: No such device or address
root at homer:~# cat /dev/lirc
cat: /dev/lirc: No such file or directory

On a whim, I started lircd and ran irrecord, here is what I saw:

root at homer:~# lircd --driver=dev/input --device=/dev/input/event0 -n
lircd: lircd(devinput) ready
lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
lircd: initializing '/dev/input/event0'
lircd: removed client
lircd: closing '/dev/input/event0'

(in irrecord:)

Hold down an arbitrary button.
.irrecord: gap not found, can't continue
irrecord: closing '/dev/input/event0'

I found some evidence suggesting that a newer version of lirc was
necessary, and thus is the reason I used the latest version from CVS.

Is this easily fixable? If not, is it possible to configure mythtv to
look at /dev/input/event0 for input?

Thanks

-JD