[mythtv-users] OT: RAID6?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Sun Nov 12 17:11:16 UTC 2006

On Sun Nov 12, 2006 at 11:57:23AM -0500, John Drescher wrote:

> There is definitely no performance advantage for raid6 just extra redundancy
> that does not make much sense unless you have 5 or more drives in your raid
> array as with raid6 you have 2 drives for parity instead of 1 that you have
> with raid5.

Actually, for RAID5 + hotspare vs RAID6, you _should_ get slightly
better read performance with RAID6 due to having an extra drive in the
array.  I'm not sure what the write performance impact is though, nor
how the current software raid6 compares to raid5 for processor load,
expansion possibilities, etc.  As you've said - I'd stick with RAID5
unless you're dealing with lots of drives (probably double figures
before I'd feel it was worth the money).

Cheers,
        Robin
--
     ___