[mythtv-users] Change layout: screen edges

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 12 20:52:53 UTC 2006

On 11/12/2006 03:32 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 14:40 +0100, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>
>> As MythTV appears to be designed for a computer monitor instead of for a
>> plain old TV I am looking for wasy to leave a few more pixels around the
>> edges of the menus so that e.g. the recordings screen does not have
>> texts starting at the leftmost, right at the edge of the screen.
>> Also other stuff is at the edges of the screens which does not look nice.
>>
>> Also: How can I change the way the TV-program titles are cut off?
>> It starts cutting off early and wastes space with a space and a few
>> periods ('...'). I'd like to experiment with different ways.
>>
> Go to "Utilities/Setup:Setup:Appearance" then on the second pane change
> the GUI width, height, X offset and Y offset to something that avoids
> overscan on your TV. i.e. shrink the width and height to be smaller
> than the resolution of your TV and increase the X and Y offset from
> the defaults of 0 and 0, resp, to something between 8 and 16.

Or use your video drivers to "underscan" (i.e. compensate for the TV's
overscan) to affect the Myth GUI, Myth playback, and all of X (and any
programs running in X).  This can be done whether your drivers give you
an overscan option or not.  If not, use modelines to adjust the image.

Note, though, that when you do this, you're likely to start seeing
things like the thin gray line of "static" at the top of your
recordings, green/purple "rainbow" edges, jagged edges, or other "this
video was designed for a TV that overscans" artifacts.  However, you get
to see the edges of your terminal windows.

Mike