[mythtv-users] ATI Radeon 9600 / MythTV Issue

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Mon Nov 13 17:29:34 UTC 2006

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 13/11/06, Rick Stone <rhadenstone at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a 9600 in my Myth box.  I was running Ubuntu Dapper and Myth .19, and
>> upgraded to .20.  After a few weeks of running .20, things started falling
>> apart (lirc stopped responding, and then there was a unrecoverable -- within
>> my scope of knowledge -- mysql problem).
>>
>> I decided to load Edgy and Myth .20 from the repos.  The install went fairly
>> smooth, but I canNOT seem to get video to display correctly on my TV.  I
>> have an older CRT television.  When I use my VERY old LCD for setup, I can
>> get it to work perfectly, but when I unplug and reboot (as I used to before
>> reinstalling) I can't get video to display correctly.  The desktop looks
>> fine, but when I play video with Xv enabled (either through Myth or Totem)
>> it looks as if the aspect ratio has doubled in length and I only get to see
>> the top half stretched to fill the screen.  When I turn Xv off, I get video
>> fine through Totem, but with the internal Myth player the aspect ratio is
>> adjusted to fit into 4:3 and the normal adjustment doesn't do anything to
>> the video.
>>
>> Any ideas or help?   Yes, I know, I should trash the old ATI card and get an
>> Nvidia, but I'm trying to save some cash.  Especially when everything worked
>> "fine" before I reinstalled.
>
> Are you using the closed-source fglrx driver from ATI, or the radeon
> driver supplied with X? I'm using the radeon driver with my Radeon
> 9000 Pro (using Xv) , outputting to a Sony Wega TV, with no problems
> at all (although tis is using a VGA-SCART cable and not S-Video).

I am currently using a Radeon 9600 with x.org's radeon driver. I have an
LCD TV connected via DVI. I have tried fglrx, but the video looks worse
and it can't seem to handle Bob deinterlacing.

In the past I have used a Radeon 8500 card with a CRT TV plugged into
the Svideo out. In that case, I had to use fglrx, since the free radeon
driver doesn't have any support for controlling TV out. However, the
BIOS on that 8500 seemed to have trouble initializing outputs other than
the VGA. I haven't tried plugging anything into the SVideo output of the
9600, but it's possible that the BIOS will manage that without any need
for driver support.

Jonathan Rogers