[mythtv-users] Suggestions for HDTV system

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Mon Nov 13 20:49:26 UTC 2006

> Currently on the docket to buy, so please chime in with your thoughts:
> * Dell E521 Athlon 64 3200+
>   nforce chipset with nvidia 6150LE graphics w/DVI
> * Air2PC, pcHDTV, KWorld? Which one???
> * Some sort of PCIe x16 video card...
>
> I need help picking a reliable HDTV card. Anyone have some hints?

You absolutely need a dual core CPU.  The x2 3800 is super cheap now,
there is no reason not to get it.  Both MythTV and X will be quite
busy - it is the ideal situation for a dual core CPU - especially if
you are playing 1080i content on a 720p or 1080p display (Bob 2x rocks!).

I tried a p4 3.2 GHz, and an Athlon 3500+ - neither one could keep up
without dropping some frames.  It didn't drop a ton of them, just
enough to be annoyed when I was watching 60 fps shows like sports or
late night talk shows.

pcHDTV works well.  I have an old 2000, but I'm sure the 5500 is just
as good.

Mark