[mythtv-users] OpenGL vsync broken on Xorg 7.1 or latest nVidia driver?

Doug Larrick doug at parkercat.org
Tue Nov 14 12:21:13 UTC 2006

John P Poet wrote:
> Well... I reinstalled FC5 on my frontend, along side FC6.  On both FC5
> and FC6 I am running a 2.6.18 kernel, and the latest nVidia binary
> driver.
>
> With OpenGL vsync turned on, horizontal tickers are smooth on FC5, but
> jumpy on FC6.
>
> I don't know what to make of this.  It could be an Xorg 7 issue, but I
> guess other distributions with Xorg 7 do not have this problem.

You might try enabling the commented-out debug prints in CalcDelay (in
vsync.cpp) -- this would tell you if you're waiting an inappropriate
amount of time in vsync (which would indicate an X/driver bug) or if
you're arriving too late to do anything about it (which would indicate a
scheduling/load-related issue).  Is it using realtime scheduling for
video out -- are you sure you've got pam_limits set up properly on the
FC6 system?

-Doug