[mythtv-users] Cheapest Silent HDTV Myth Frontened

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 16:30:56 UTC 2006

> I have tried feeding the output of an MVP to the S-Video input of the
> TV, and as expected it looks nowhere near as good as the VGA feed.
>
> It is watchable though, but you are asking such a subjective question
> that it's hard to give a reasonable answer. There are many other
> factors like the quality of the original source, the encoding
> parameters of the mpeg file, the quality of the TV set itself and,
> ultimately, your personal tolerance for crappy pictures.

I record at 720x480 with a 2.5M bitrate.  Even on my regular TV I can
see artifacts with fast motion, but they don't usually bother me.  I
just see it as a tradeoff for more recording hours.  If the bitrate
made a big difference on the LCD I would probably up it to 4M.

> The 32" LCDs that I have seen around for under $1000 usually have
> poor contrast ratios (around 500-600) and lousy brightness (maybe 300
> - 500). Maybe not too bad in a darkened room, but not great. The
> inexpensive ones are also likely to have narrower viewing angles than
> the better ones.
>
> As always, you get no more than you pay for, and sometimes a lot
> less :-)

Something like this would be what I would look for on sale:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824022006
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889160005

Jeff