[mythtv-users] Smoothing out the channel change script

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Nov 14 18:40:45 UTC 2006

At 7:48 AM -0500 11/14/06, Viitasaari wrote:
>It doesn't seem to be the DSTB since the stuttering occurs before the
>actual channel itself even changes.
>
>There appears to be 3 distinct parts to the stutter...one for each
>digit.

This sounds to me like it is lirc that is inducing the stutter.
resolving this may be as simple as increasing the "niceness" (do a
"man renice" for more info) of the lirc processes. But if you do
this, you may cause some transmissions to fail, because the CPU
switches away from lirc at times when it should be blasting the next
bit of data.

Other options that may help:

- upgrade your kernel to one that supports the HPET_TIMER option

- get a blaster like either of these, which would offload the
CPU-intensive stuff: http://www.mytvstore.com/product_id_004.html
http://www.usbuirt.com/

- get a faster CPU