[mythtv-users] cannot open /dev/video0

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 14 19:16:57 UTC 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Matt Rude wrote:

> Abigail-
> If you can't list /dev/video0 then it's not a permission problems
> (sorry guys) is a driver problem.

I thought that the device *could* be listed, as root.

> 1st what do you see when you do a ls -l /dev/vide* do you see a /
> dev/video1 file or anything like that?
> 2nd conferm you have the ivtv driver installed on your system that
> is the same version as your kernel (I'm on Fedora so I don't know
> what version Knoppix is on.)
> 3rd look at your modprobe (/etc/modprobe.conf) do you have the ivtv
> setup?
> 4th what happens when you run:  (as root)
> /sbin/depmod -a
> /sbin/modprobe ivtv
>
> Look in /var/log/message and see if you have any ivtv errors.

Or just run dmesg.

Should also tell you the device.

Often you will have a /dev/video which is a link to /dev/video0, the
link having 777 permissions of course.

I'm assuming that by "Knoppix Myth" the OP meant "KnoppMyth", so the
problem shouldn't be too serious as the KnoppMyth installation is
pretty well de-bugged.