[mythtv-users] cannot open /dev/video0

Abigail Smith abigailsweetashoneyandgigglelots at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 19:58:38 UTC 2006

  Ok so it looks like "hotplug" is trying to load the firmware from a directory other than /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.  I'm thinking it might be trying to load it from /etc/hotplug.d/.  Does this sound kosher to anyone else?  Perhaps another directory is needed?

  Thanks for the help,

  Abby

Abigail Smith <abigailsweetashoneyandgigglelots at yahoo.com> wrote:

  I think we're thinking similarly.  I googled a bit and I'm looking at that directory too.  I just symlinked:

  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 2006-05-20 22:44 v41-cx2341x-dec.fw -> /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ivtv-fw-dec.bin

  And I'm rebooting now.... I'll see if it's the fix.

  Thanks,

  Abby

Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
  Abigail Smith wrote:

> Ok now we're getting somewhere. depmod and modprobe both returned with
> 0 (echo $?) and no errors.
>
> The ivtv module is loaded (lsmod) and modprobe.conf has plenty of stuff
> in there but I am not certain if it's "correct".
>
> /var/log/messages is the key tho.
>
> grep ivtv /var/log/messages >> "unable to open firmware
> v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw....." "failed loading encoder firmware".
>
> Ok so that's the problem. Any hints on the solution?

What do you get with :

ls /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/

Tom