[mythtv-users] CableCard???

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Nov 14 22:27:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 12:24 -0500, Stephen Sassman wrote:
> Now I'm confused. I thought that if I bought a pcHDTV card and
> subscribed to my cable companies HD service that I could get all of
> the HD channels including the encrypted ones in true HD. If this isn't
> the case, then why would I want to buy the pcHDTV card since I should
> be able to get the unencrypted channels through firewire right?

I've now had two completely different experiences with this in New York.
In Manhattan, none of the basic cable channels were encrypted with RCN,
but in Brooklyn all of the basic cable channels were encrypted with
Cablevision. With RCN it was impossible to get a Firewire capable
box. Or actually they would give you one; then tell you that they
had functioning firmware, but they couldn't push it out to the box
because the properly functioning firmware would break some of the
other cable boxes out in the field which were of the same model, but
without firewire ports. With Cablevision I'm told the firewire works,
but I haven't tried it yet. I'm getting my C-SPAN fix from their web
streams, since I haven't rented an additional box for my home office.

-- Daniel