[mythtv-users] Microsoft and DRM

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 14 22:55:23 UTC 2006

OT I know, but I thought folks here would be interested:

There was a discussion of MS and DRM the other day. From Small Dog
Electronic's "Tech Tails" newsletter, regarding their new "Zune":

"You can move songs from one Zune to another, but the songs magically
disappear after three days or three plays (leaving a link to buy the
song for yourself at Microsoft's store),

The copy protection on the Zune is so strict that it applies to all
audio files, regardless of copyright status.  Say you make a song in
GarageBand, save it as an MP3, email it to a friend who uses Windows,
and the friend puts the song on their Zune.  Your buddy thinks the
song is so great, he zaps it to other friends with a Zune, but those
people to whom he zaps the song using Wi-Fi get three plays or three
days.  Ironically, if some media is covered by a Creative Commons
license, the Zune violates it as it hinders free distribution."

Of course they don't tell you about this until after you have spent
your money :-(

I don't think I'll count on MS for a solution to encrypted Cable TV
programs.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org