[mythtv-users] Lirc - no version for "lirc_unregister_plugin" found: kernel tainted

David Fishburn fishburn at ianywhere.com
Wed Nov 15 04:02:35 UTC 2006

Ubuntu Edgy
MythTV 0.20
Ivtv 0.7.1
Lirc 0.8.1pre2
Kernel 2.6.17-10-generic

This is my first Myth box.
I have some channels showing up, but am trying to get the remote working.

I have a Hauppauge pvr-500 with samsung tuners.

# dmesg |grep lirc
[  689.609872] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
[  689.610820] lirc_i2c: no version for "lirc_unregister_plugin" found:
kernel tainted.

I have tried about 3 or 4 different HowTos now on this.

This is my latest:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LIRC_on_Ubuntu_Edgy_Eft

One thing I haven't figured out is if I am using the correct module for the
pvr-500.
Do I use lirc_i2c, lirc_mceusb, lirc_mceusb2?

What does kernel tainted mean?
I have googled for 2 nights looking for solutions.

I am also attaching my full dmesg output since I have also read this relies
on ivtv being up and functional.  I have managed to get /dev/video0 sort of
working.  The higher channels work, but the lower channels are nearly
unrecognizable.

Thanks,
Dave