[mythtv-users] S/PDIF support for Intel HDA Realtek ALC880?

wouter lists wouter.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 08:35:12 UTC 2006

I have also a ALC880 based card and it took me some time to get spdif working.

The strange thing is that I have to mute spdif, play something through
spdif and unmute it afterwards. Now it works perfectly.
So I created a little extra startup script with the following commands:

# Do some nasty tricks to get the spdif working.
/usr/bin/amixer set IEC958 mute
/usr/bin/aplay -D spdif /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
/usr/bin/amixer set IEC958 unmute

I'm running debian unstable x86_64 and this trick worked with the 3
last kernels.

I don't have an asoundrc file.

I hope this helps you.

Wouter

PS: I opened already a bugreport for this on the alsa bugzilla.