[mythtv-users] offloading recordings onto another machine

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 15 09:58:47 UTC 2006

On Nov 15, 2006, at 2:38 AM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> Now that I'm successfully making recordings, I am recording more
> than I'm
> watching, and running out of drive space. I have lots of space on
> another
> machine, and was looking at MythArchive to see how I can use it but
> I'm
> not sure it will do what I want. What I want is a way to "export"
> recordings off to another machine (via a Samba share), and then when I
> want to watch them, "import" them back to Myth. I don't want to
> create a
> DVD, just get the files out of my Recordings directory. If I can do
> this
> from the command-line I can even automate the process. Is there a
> tutorial
> somewhere?

You could use myth_archive_job.pl to move files off onto just about
anyplace. I'd suggest nfs and not samba as some samba implementations
have 2GB file size limitations.

I use it to move files to a USB drive, but I see no reason why a
network-mounted filesystem wouldn't work. Assuming your network is
fast enough you wouldn't even have to move them back in order to
watch them.