[mythtv-users] transcoding container

Chuck Peters cp at ccil.org
Wed Nov 15 10:55:44 UTC 2006

I think my current problem is transcoding is making files with a
nupple video container and I want avi or something our DVD player and
xine/gxine can play.

I had been archiving some shows to DVD by using lossless transcoding
(I modified nuvexport) and then making xvid files by running the mpg2
files through 2 pass mencoder script.  To save space I have recently
started to transcode some shows. I have my medium transcoder set to
make high quality mp4 files (Enable high-quality encoding is checked)
with the audio set as 7 mp3 ( I think that is what came up by
default).

Now when I attempt to play the file with xine or gxine all I get is
this horrid sound with no video.  mplayer plays the files fine.  I
haven't burned a CD to test if it will work in our Zenith DVD player,
but my guess is that it won't.  Can I change the nupple video
container to avi easily before I burn a DVD or can I make the
transcoder make avi files that still work through myth?

Before someone suggests mytharchive I should note a couple things.
The backend/frontend/PVR-500 with the DVD writer is an old Dell which
I upgraded to a 1.4Ghz Celeron via a powerleap kit and it just seems
too slow and take too much time with the frontend to make DVD's
through mytharchive.  My desktop is a 2Ghz gateway and it runs a
frontend for commercial cutting and mythjobqueue, but it only has a
cdrom.  mythjobqueue runs on both machines, but the faster gateway
runs 2 jobs while the old Dell runs 1.  Note a couple of times I have
seen some input/ouput performance issues when doing multiple lossless
transcodes and watching live or recoded programs. One time it even
seemed to effect the recording quality.  This brings up another
question, can I set things up so only 1 transcoding job at a time runs
on the gateway machine?  That way 2 commercial flagging jobs wouldn't
be waiting and the overall speed of transcoding will be about the same
as well as avoiding the input/output performance issue?

Thanks,
Chuck