[mythtv-users] offloading recordings onto another machine

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 15 13:59:38 UTC 2006

On 11/15/2006 04:58 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2006, at 2:38 AM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>

>> Now that I'm successfully making recordings, I am recording more
>> than I'm
>> watching, and running out of drive space. I have lots of space on
>> another
>> machine, and was looking at MythArchive to see how I can use it but
>> I'm
>> not sure it will do what I want. What I want is a way to "export"
>> recordings off to another machine (via a Samba share), and then when I
>> want to watch them, "import" them back to Myth. I don't want to
>> create a
>> DVD, just get the files out of my Recordings directory. If I can do
>> this
>> from the command-line I can even automate the process. Is there a
>> tutorial
>> somewhere?
>>

> You could use myth_archive_job.pl to move files off onto just about
> anyplace. I'd suggest nfs and not samba as some samba implementations
> have 2GB file size limitations.
>
> I use it to move files to a USB drive, but I see no reason why a
> network-mounted filesystem wouldn't work. Assuming your network is
> fast enough you wouldn't even have to move them back in order to
> watch them.

BTW, myth_archive_job.pl (which is unrelated to MythArchive) does
exactly what Robin suggested with symlinks, but does it all for you.
So, both of these suggestions (received 3 min apart) were the same and
you really should look into myth_archive_job.pl even if you wrote it off
before as "the more complicated solution."

Mike