[mythtv-users] Questions about codecs / nuvexport

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 14:07:51 UTC 2006

Ben looking at nuvexport and after recompiling ffmpeg on my Ubuntu box
have a number of codecs to play with.  I am discounting asf as the
quality is os poor.

Before I give my rambelingsI have a couple of questions.

Firstly am I correct in thinking divX is the version that was open
source so divX on Linux is effectively frozen and will never improve
in quality.

Secondly is it possible to decrease the bit-rate/width/hight or DivX
or Xvid and still get good results on a 20 inch monitor/tv?  If so
what bitrate/hight/width are worth trying?

Back to my musings.

In terms of file size, using the default settings, there is not a
great deal in it.

Quality is however a different story.

VCD may be the quickest but is the worst quality, similar if not worst
than VHS.

Xvid with multi-pass is defiantly the best but takes a very long time.

divX is fairly good quality (there does not seem to be any point in
multi pass) but quite slow.

--
Ben Edwards - Brussels & Bristol, UK, England
If you have a problem emailing me use