[mythtv-users] Which TV connector type?

Matthias Thyroff lists at thyroff.net
Thu Nov 16 08:53:35 UTC 2006

Jon Whitear schrieb:
> Phill Edwards wrote:
>> If someone could share a few brief pros & cons on the different
>> options that would be great.
> Phill,
>
> I recently bought an Sony LCD TV. I came across a couple of things I
> wished I'd known before I got it.
>
> 1) It has a VGA connector that will drive the screen at its native
> resolution (1366x768 or something like that) allowing Mythtv to do the
> scaling. That gives a really sharp picture, but the VGA port only does
> 60Hz refresh, and I live in 50Hz PAL TV Australia. Using the VGA port
> gives noticeably jerkier motion that the (50Hz) HDMI port, to my eyes.
> Having said that, I know of other people using the VGA port quite happily.
>
> 2) HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI, but only to a certain extent.
> You can buy a DVI-HDMI cable for your DVI-out video card, and it should
> work OK. However, I had assumed that I would be able to drive the TV at
> its native resolution using DVI, even though Sony says something along
> the lines of "the HDMI port's not PC compatible." I discovered that my
> TV only supports standard digital TV modes via HDMI, e.g. 720p, 1080i.
> I'm running mine at 720p and it looks great, but it took me ages of
> faffing around to fine a modeline that worked.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon

Hi Jon,

thanks for that information, it was exactly what I needed to know; I
live in 50Hz-Europe, and I am unhappy with the jerky motion at 60Hz
(having spent quite some time trying to get 50Hz to work, but my Samsung
TV did not want that as your Sony). Now that I have read your (2) I will
get a DVI-HDMI cable asap, that sounds good!

Cheers

	Matthias