[mythtv-users] Totally OT - but need help wit RAID5 array

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Nov 16 21:20:15 UTC 2006

> Well, your basic problem is that the disk would look to be hosed.  I'd
> recommend stopping the RAID array (mdadm -S /dev/md0) and using dd (or,
> even better, dd_rescue/dd-rhelp
> http://www.kalysto.org/utilities/dd_rhelp/index.en.html) to copy
> /dev/hdb to /dev/hdd.  You can then assemble the array using /dev/hdc
> and /dev/hdd and try fscking it again.  I've managed to recover a failed
> drive using this method before (though that wasn't in a RAID array).

I'm trying dd_rhelp right now. Would be nice to recover some of the
stuff if I can.

Assuming dd_rhelp is able to do it's thing (it appears to be doing
something!), how do I bring up the array? Should I switch hdb and hdd in
the cabling or just try and force the array to load using hdc and hdd?

Thanks for all your help!
James