[mythtv-users] Enhancement request: Per-channel transcoding settings

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 09:20:06 UTC 2006

On 11/15/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> I'd love to be able to specify a default transcode profile for each
> channel. Whether through mythtv-setup's channel editor, MythWeb's
> MythTV channel info page, or both, I envision being able to choose
> "Autodetect," "High Quality," etc. for each channel. In this context,
> within Post Recording Processing|Transcode using, a new "Default"
> choice (also the preset) would use whatever setting the channel
> has. Of course the other transcode profiles can be manually specified
> here as well.
>
> Why would this be useful? Because the current system of one default
> transcode profile doesn't cover all situations. I typically use "High
> Quality" (which I've edited to serve as a 1080i deinterlacing
> no-resize profile) for 1080i programs, "Medium Quality" (a
> non-deinterlacing, no-resize profile at a lower bitstream) or
> "Autodetect" for 720p programs, and "Low Quality" (a deinterlacing,
> no-resize profile at a very low bitstream) or "Autodetect" for
> standard-definition programs. In other words, the transcode profile I
> want to use will typically be consistent for each program in a
> specific channel.
>
> --

you might be able to do what you want with a user job script.
I have a user job script that re-encodes the videos from HDTV
format to something that I can send across the network. I could
use the channel info passed when that script is called to determine
how I wanted to re-encode the video... you could probably do
something similar...

jack