[mythtv-users] Nvidia help

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Nov 17 14:59:16 UTC 2006

I've been battling this problem since I started with MythTV only a month
ago.

When X locks up on you and you SSH in to the machine, does "Xorg" show
up at the top of the list when you run "top" and it is at 99% CPU
utilization?  When the system locks up, run "dmesg" and you should see
the last entry containing some "L0 -> L2" type of funky error.

The only solution that was recommended to me was to use livna.org RPMs
for the nVidia driver (xorg-x11-drv-nvidia and kmod-nvidia).  I didn't
actually believe that it would be a solution since come from the same
source, but, oddly, my problem all but went away (I have had about 3
lock-ups since then).

 From xorg.conf:
<..snip..>
Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "glx"
#       Load  "dri"      # <--  Nvidia driver does NOT support "dri".
EndSection
<..snip..>
Section "Device"

        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "XFX"
        BoardName   "XFX nVidia GeForce 6200"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
# use AGPGART (0=noagp, 1=NvAgp, 2= AGPART)
        Option      "NvAGP" "2"
# TV Out Setup
        Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
        Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
EndSection
<..snip..>

My current resolution is set to 800x600 because the TV I'm attached to
is a CRT.  I haven't yet tried up'ing the resolution or plugging it via
VGA in to the LCD TV we have.

-Rich