[mythtv-users] Totally OT - but need help wit RAID5 array

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Nov 17 17:20:47 UTC 2006

> I think you want to "assemble" rather than "create" - create will
> initialize it as a new RAID array. Assemble will pick up the pieces of
> an old array.
>
> I assume "dev/hdd" isn't real - a typo when you first created the array?
>
> If /dev/hdb and /dev/hdc exist then you can use "missing" for the third
> drive.
>
> Try something like:
> mdadm --assemble --verbose /dev/md0 /dev/hdb /dev/hdc missing

Yes, typo when it was created. I said no to the previous prompt for
creating an array. I tried the following commands:

[root at storage /]# mdadm --assemble --verbose /dev/md0 /dev/hdb /dev/hdc missing
mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0
mdadm: /dev/hdb is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 3.
mdadm: /dev/hdc is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 1.
mdadm: cannot open device missing: No such file or directory
mdadm: missing has no superblock - assembly aborted
[root at storage /]# mdadm --assemble --verbose /dev/md0 --force /dev/hdb /dev/hdc missing
mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0
mdadm: /dev/hdb is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 3.
mdadm: /dev/hdc is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 1.
mdadm: cannot open device missing: No such file or directory
mdadm: missing has no superblock - assembly aborted
[root at storage /]# mdadm --assemble --verbose /dev/md0 --force /dev/hdb /dev/hdc
mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0
mdadm: /dev/hdb is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 3.
mdadm: /dev/hdc is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 1.
mdadm: no uptodate device for slot 0 of /dev/md0
mdadm: no uptodate device for slot 2 of /dev/md0
mdadm: added /dev/hdb to /dev/md0 as 3
mdadm: added /dev/hdc to /dev/md0 as 1
mdadm: /dev/md0 assembled from 1 drive - not enough to start the array.

Thanks,
James