[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Viitasaari public at viitasaari.ca
Fri Nov 17 17:52:27 UTC 2006

Ladies & Gentlemen:

I have recently joined the ranks of individuals with working MythTV
boxes.

After actually using it I realized that it takes 2-3 seconds of garbled
presentation for a channel change.

I have since spent some time reading message boards, FAQ's and
documentation on MythTV and apparently this is a common quirk which the
majority of MythTV users don't even notice because they do scheduling &
recording as opposed to watching LiveTV.

I know everyone has their own ideas regarding the definition of a PVR
and a DVR and correct me if I am wrong but the use case for a PVR would
be as follows:

User happily watching TV.
User is distracted by an event in his/her living space(phone ringing,
soup boiling over etc.)
User pauses TV
User deals with distraction
User un-pauses TV
User subsequently fast-forwards through the commercials.

Where I am going with this is that in imitating the functionality of a
TIVO, Freevo will not do it at all and MythTV does it but the channel
changing problem really showcases how MythTV is not there yet.

Now, I would love to help fix the problem as long as everyone can agree
that it is a serious one.

Best Regards, Hedgehog